Thursday, January 19, 2017

Eagles


Today is supposed to be my retreat day.  But, our nanny is sick.  Garrett is particularly cranky today, and chose to start the day at 5:20.  So, I quickly formulated a coping plan this morning, a plan that is my “go-to” for cranky kids: we need to get outside.  It’s exhausting simply preparing to leave the house, particularly with a whiny little boy crying sadly at my legs.  But I press on with my plan because fresh air solves many problems. 

 Surprisingly, the twins were mostly content in the stroller as I pushed them during my walk (and very much enjoyed playing in the rain at the end).  But, it was the eagles which spoke to me today.  I was feeling angry that my disease and it's treatment limit my energy level.  I was on edge because I am tired and my whining kids can push me to places I don’t like to be.  Today was to be a day of peace; but, caring for two 1 year olds is anything but peaceful.  I set out on my walk to my usual destination: the river.  I was greeted at the trailhead by a majestic eagle regally perched.  And my heart paused.  My God is present with me always.  In the peace and in the crazy.  And I was reminded of Isaiah 40:

 Look up into the heavens.
    Who created all the stars?
He brings them out like an army, one after another,
    calling each by its name.
Because of his great power and incomparable strength,
    not a single one is missing.
27 O Jacob, how can you say the Lord does not see your troubles?
    O Israel, how can you say God ignores your rights?
28 Have you never heard?
    Have you never understood?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of all the earth.
He never grows weak or weary.
    No one can measure the depths of his understanding.
29 He gives power to the weak
    and strength to the powerless.
30 Even youths will become weak and tired,
    and young men will fall in exhaustion.
31 But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
    They will soar high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
    They will walk and not faint.



My mother cross-stitched part of this passage and hung it on our family’s wall where it still is today.  I am but a youth of an adult who is tired, diseased and so often near exhaustion.  These days, with the reminder of the eagles along the river trail, these verses are dear to my heart.




No comments:

Post a Comment